Aviva - Founding partner of C2D3
Our founding partner is Aviva, the UK’s leading insurance company. We work with industrial partners to build a portfolio of collaborative research projects, provide professional development opportunities for their own staff and access to the full breadth and depth of the University’s talent pool in the area of data science.
Aviva and Cambridge partnership video
Find out how Aviva and the University of Cambridge are working together, applying cutting-edge data science to real world problems.
"The partnership has hit the ground running. I put that down, firstly, to a huge commitment to the partnership from both sides." Professor Andy Neely, Pro-Vice Chancellor for Enterprise and Business Relations
The first annual Cambridge-Aviva Partnership Report highlighting a successful first year of world-class research, collaborations and training. Available to read here.
"We have been able to offer data science training at a level of excellence that simply wouldn’t be possible on our own.
We unashamedly see data science as an increasing source of competitive advantage, and equipping our people with cutting-edge skills just makes good business sense."
October 2019 saw the beginning of two Aviva-funded PhD projects in the Mathematics and Computer Science departments:
- Jan Stantzuk is a PhD student on the Cambridge Mathematics of Information PhD programme. Jan is studying ‘Trustworthy machine learning for ovarian cancer imaging’.
- Michelle Lee is a PhD student in the Computer Lab at Cambridge, her research is titled ‘Context and fairness in machine learning’.
October 2020 saw three new PhD students being their research:
- Edward Kosasih, Supervisor: Dr. Alexandra Brintrup, Institute for Manufacturing
- Jessica McMaster, Supervisor: Prof. Jon Simons, Department of Psychology
- Jonathan Crabbe, Supervisor: Prof. Mihaela van der Schaar, Department of Applied Mathematics & Theoretical Physics