Aviva - Founding partner of C2D3
Our founding partner is Aviva, the UK’s leading insurance company. We work with industrial partners to build a portfolio of collaborative research projects, provide professional development opportunities for their own staff and access to the full breadth and depth of the University’s talent pool in the area of data science.
Case Study: Strategic Partners of the University
Aviva and Cambridge partnership video
Find out how Aviva and the University of Cambridge are working together, applying cutting-edge data science to real world problems here.
“It takes our strong relationships beyond the insurance industry to create a better tomorrow for our customers, our employees and the wider society and communities where we live, work and study.” Alessia Kosagowsky, Chief Data Officer, Chair of Aviva Quantum
October 2019 saw the beginning of two Aviva-funded PhD projects in the Mathematics and Computer Science departments:
- Jan Stantzuk is a PhD student on the Cambridge Mathematics of Information PhD programme. Jan is studying ‘Trustworthy machine learning for ovarian cancer imaging’.
- Michelle Lee is a PhD student in the Computer Lab at Cambridge, her research is titled ‘Context and fairness in machine learning’.
October 2020 saw three new PhD students being their research:
- Edward Kosasih, Supervisor: Dr. Alexandra Brintrup, Institute for Manufacturing
- Jessica McMaster, Supervisor: Prof. Jon Simons, Department of Psychology
- Jonathan Crabbe, Supervisor: Prof. Mihaela van der Schaar, Department of Applied Mathematics & Theoretical Physics
Quantum is Aviva's data science practice, led by Dr Orlando Machado. Quantum have partnered the University of Cambridge, collaborating with some of their best minds on a variety of research projects. The latest Quantum podcasts are linked below. The full selection of Aviva podcasts can be found on Sound Cloud.